Friday, November 23, 2012

Berlin By Boat

Over the summer one Sunday I got to go on a dinner boat cruise around Berlin with my job. It was a five hour trip and we went all the way from Moabit out past Treptow towards Köpenick in the former East Berlin. I had never been out on the Spree River and it was a really nice new perspective of the city and a beautiful day. Here are some of my photos, so you can see Berlin from this angle as well!


 Pulling away from where I work in Moabit.


 We say this old school ship on the way

 Berlin Hauptbahnhof, the main train station. I don't usually see it from this side!


 People chilling by the river. Once spring hits Berlin, every green surface looks like this.





My favorite bridge, the Oberbaumbrücke separating Kreuzberg and Friedrichshain, the former West from the former East. I especially love that at night the sides are continuously playing Rock, Paper, Scissors against each other via light up signs.


This is also a regular occurrence. I am totally getting my own blow up raft for next summer. Love it.


 Insel, a venue on a small island where various parties are held.


 The view sailing towards Treptow.


 It's getting dark and we've turned around. The view of the Oberbaumbrücke from the other side.


 Here is the outside of one of the big clubs, KaterHolzig. This was funny to sail by as it was around 8 or so Sunday evening and the outside was PACKED with drunk dancing people. Oh Berlin.


Taking a break while they bring us back to the correct water level. Different parts of the Spree are at different levels, so sometimes they hold you in a small section while they add or take away water to level you with the next part of the river.


Berliner Dom

And that's that! One of the nicest boat cruises I've been on! I recommend everyone take a chance to see Berlin by boat if the opportunity ever arises!

No comments:

Post a Comment